Loading cart contents...
This blog post will cover everything a beginner would need to start oil painting. There are literally hundreds of oil colors available but in truth, you need around 5 to mix almost any color you can think of.
- Various flat medium range brushes 10-15 my personal recommendation would be Grumbacher bristlette brushes. While many will purchase lots of different kinds of brushes you can get by very well with just a few flat brushes.
- Basic oil pallet (keep in mind this is the bare minimum I would recommend to a beginner but will allow the mixture of any other bought colors)
- French ultramarine blue
- Yellow Ochre
- Titanium white
- Alizarin Crimson Red
- Cadmium red light
- Cadmium Yellow
- Other colors that are not needed I would strongly suggest include Thalo green, Burnt sienna, and Chromium Oxide green if you plan to do portraits.
- Moving on we will need Odorless terpenoid or mineral spirits to clean our brushes and thin our paint.
- Linseed oil to add oil to our paints and help them spread.